Author Topic: New to Canberra  (Read 5627 times)

Offline dalej

• View Profile
New to Canberra
« on: July 13, 2007, 09:28:25 PM »
Iv'e just arrived in Canberra from Cairns, as always I'm keen to meet paddlers and get on the water.
If anyone wants to show off any local runs, please let me know. 
Also, are there any park and play spots in the area (apart from Childowlah)?
Please call Dale on 0424 664 072.
P.S. If anyone is selling a sml-med drytop you've just found a half frozen buyer.

Offline robbo

• View Profile
Re: New to Canberra
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 05:09:56 PM »

Dale,

drop in and see Mick at Wetspot water sports in Fyshwick, he will be able to help you with both requests (rivers and cag). We are over the coast but as Canberra is only 2.5 hrs away we have paddled over there in the past weeks, jointly Canberrians have come our way.

good luck

Robbo.

Offline uwhnick

• View Profile
Re: New to Canberra
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 12:24:59 PM »
Hi Dale,

Good to hear of another paddler round here.  I'm always up for a paddle on weekends and weekdays if its raining (can't work in the rain).  The bidgee is at an okay level at the moment, but a bit more rain would be nice this week to keep it there.  As far as park and play options, Childowlah only works in summer when they are releasing water for the irrigators.  There is a wave on the molonglo about 50m down from Coppins crossing that works when they are releasing water from scrivener dam which depends on lots of rain in the city (they seem to turn the dam on in the morning if it has rained overnight).  There is another wave just up from the confluence of the murrumbidgee and cotter rivers, where you paddle across from the picnic area and walk up about 100m.  I think this one might be okay at the moment (its pretty small) but maybe the river is just a bit too low for it.  The best wave I know of is on the red rocks section, so its park and walk and play (about 20mins walk).  Unfortunately the cotter weir has a new low level bridge about 10m downstream, besides which the cotter dam is so low that it is unlikely to be running for a long while.

My number is 0403 635 795

Cheers, Nick