Poll

want kayak to buy

stomper
0 (0%)
recon
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: ADVICE ON KAYAKS  (Read 4361 times)

Offline dan

• View Profile
ADVICE ON KAYAKS
« on: October 03, 2013, 05:47:45 PM »
i have done alot of rafting but i want to get into kayaking and I'm looking into boats. I just want to put it out there that i do not know any thing about kayak's. I was looking at a creeker because a want to be able to do journey based trips up to a week. I do alot of light weight hiking so i don't need a hugh boat( i have the light weight gear). I live on the bidge, so i want to be able to do day trips as well. (yer i know i want every thing) i only weight 60 kg if that matters. i have been  looking at the "wave sport recon 83" and the "liquid logic stomper 80" i can get the stomper cheaper not that that's a real selling point for me cos i would rather buy the best boat for me. If any one has any advice on either of these two boats i would appreciate it. If i am way off the mark on these two boats and i should be doing something else and you have the time to tell me I'd love you help.
cheers every one.
PS if all goes well i should be seeing you out there on the water in the next month or two.

Offline alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: ADVICE ON KAYAKS
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 07:43:23 PM »
I think you are on the right track... 

have you sat in either?  I'd just go for whatever is the most comfortable.  IMO differences in modern creek boat hull design makes 2/3rds of FA difference.

Offline Tom

• View Profile
Re: ADVICE ON KAYAKS
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 08:43:44 PM »
Maybe have a look at something that has a few more edges such as a river runner rather than a full on creekboat. River runners are generally better to learn in as they are easier to roll and the edges allow you to learn to carve the boat and make eddies, where as you can bumble down most things with out any grace in a creekboat. Plus at the moment you probably want to stay away from places where you need a creekboat. You can still pack loads of gear into something like the Diesels, Zens, Mambas. Even an RPM/Axiom would be a great choice to kick it off.

End of the day best to have a sit in on and see how comfy it is. Alex is right, a boat that fits is generally the best one for the job.

Only thing running lower than the rivers are my standards.