Author Topic: Super secret river webcam project  (Read 8718 times)

Offline uwhnick

• View Profile
Super secret river webcam project
« on: March 18, 2013, 11:18:08 AM »
So I reckon I'll give this a go since the development looks like its already been done.  Has anyone got an old, unlocked android phone they would like to donate to the cause?  It needs to run at least android 2.1 I think, and it would be preferable it it had a removable battery since I'll want to be adding my own big battery.  Also, old laptop batteries (dead is fine since I'll be pulling the cases apart to scavenge cells) would be useful as well.  If I can't get an old phone, it looks like I can buy a new one from ebay for about $60 anyway.

The end product should be a discrete little box that will take a photo every 20(ish?) minutes during daylight hours and send it somewhere, and should run for 2 to 3 months, or more if I put more batteries in it.

I reckon that the build cost will be under $100 (assuming I have to buy the phone, and if not, probably about $40) and the operating costs something like $5 per month (for a telstra 250 mb/month data only plan).  This would give enough data for 1 photo every 20 minutes during daylight hours.

Offline BJ

• View Profile
Re: Super secret river webcam project
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 02:48:21 PM »
I can donate a 12volt 17Ah SLA. It may be bigger than what you had in mind though.

Offline mad_zook

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 02:52:19 PM »
it shouldnt be hard to drop the voltage from 12v down to the needed voltage. i might have a 12v 7 ah lying around 17 sounds better though.

James

Offline uwhnick

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 03:03:15 PM »
DC-DC convertors cost money, use power, take up space in the enclosure...  Not worth the effort, when LiPo cells are already the right voltage and are available for nothing (theoretically).

Offline Griff

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 05:45:34 PM »
I have a old laptop (dead harddrive) that can be donated.

Based on your acquisition an sustainmet costs.  I am happy to donate a total of $100 dollars to the project

Offline cp

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 06:07:21 PM »
All I have is money; and happy to donate! PM me when you want some cash.

Offline BJ

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 07:42:04 PM »
Can you rejuvenate the laptop battery cells? As I know someone with a dead laptop which won't run without power cord.

Offline uwhnick

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 08:37:29 AM »
Normally when a laptop battery dies, its only 1 if any of the 3 or 4 cells in it that are buggered, so I'll just pull them apart and use the good ones.  Also, you should check ebay for a replacement battery (and then give me the one that doesn't work).  They come pretty cheap :)

Offline uwhnick

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 08:39:22 AM »
Just bought the phone.  Its a Huawei thing so the chinese governement will probably be able to check river levels once its up and running as well.

Offline BJ

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 12:34:46 PM »
 Pretty sure the rest of the computer is fried and outdated anyway.

Huawei, sounds quality   :P